Thursday, May 19, 2011

Some say Why?

A few months ago I told my friends and family that I was going to go to India for a summer internship and a common question was "Why would you go and do that?"

I knew the answer in my mind (because I want to) but hadn't figured out how to say it back then.  After answering the question a few dozen times, here is my best response:

Learnhub.com, very proud of them
I spent an entire summer as the Business Development Coordinator at LearnHub.  I loved the company, the people and the job itself.  I spent the summer building websites focused towards recruiting qualified candidates from India to go to school abroad.  For 17 weeks, 45 hours a week, I created creative content for people on the otherside of the world.

Then one day, I realized that I had spent more time talking about people than I had spent talking to them.  I had no real cultural concept of India, other than Butter Chicken, my old roomate Vinay, and Russell Peters.  At that moment I decided I would go work in India, spend a summer learning a completely foreign perspective, and meeting as many people as I could on the other side of the world.

So out of 107 countries to choose an AIESEC internship, I had already made up my mind.  The words of my manager and mentor from LearnHub helped me fully decide.  She said something along the lines of, "There are many countries you can explore, many you can visit, but at this time of your life, you must become versed in India.  Economically speaking, they will be the most influential country of your future."



No comments:

Post a Comment